MadAboutRed

MadAboutRed

7.11.2011

It's Not About Comfort



All 79 Airmen came decorated in their finest uniforms. Each one had endured a long and ruthless six-week training program that deprived them of sleep and time with their families. That $250 pay raise hadn't come easily. But all of them made it through and tonight we would celebrate their success.

Undoubtedly the most handsome man there, SSgt Mark Davis graduated ALS with the highest academic award and a distinguished graduate award. As he was making his way back to his seat with trophies in hand, multiple high-ranking officials made their way toward him to shake his hand and congratulate him with Air Force coins. I couldn't have been more proud.

I sat there in my new black dress and heels admiring these hard-working, humble men and women who serve our country with such pride. There is a specific environmental dynamic at every military event. Even though they all have a variety of jobs--from pilot to doctor to administrator--and everyone has their own beliefs and interests and friends, there's an overwhelming sense of unity. I'm often blown away by military members' willingness to sacrifice so much that I wonder why they're not all just walking around crying together and patting each other on the back. No, instead, it seems like they don't even think twice. The standard is what it is. The job requires XYZ and they just do what it takes to get it done.

The Air Force's core values are to hold to integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do. Those are pretty intense.

Jesus Christ maintained those same values. And he asks us to follow his actions and uphold them as well. In that, I'm reminded that life is not about being comfortable. In my own life, my prayers, my decisions, my complaints, my desires all center around my comfort. I just mentioned the word "my" six times. Yes, that is a direct reflection of what I'm talking about. I mean think about it. Aren't yours? How many times have you prayed these prayers: Dear God, please bless this food to our body; Please help us get there safely; Please allow me a good nights sleep tonight; Please help me feel better...

I don't mean to discount these prayers. Our loving Savior is ecstatic when we come to him at all, and he understands our nature. My point is how often we're praying for comfort and ourselves. Our thoughts, our feelings, our prayers revolve solely around us too much of the time.

And so I'm forced to ask myself...

When is the last time I got up in the morning determined to have an attitude of servanthood? That I consciously chose to put myself aside to serve another?

When is the last time I truly set out to serve my husband? To pay close attention to his needs? To pray for him?

When is that last time I looked outside my little house with my little family and group of friends to see who out there in the world is hurting and needs... a servant?

Being a part of the U.S. Military is an honorable job. And even though I'm just an Airman's wife, I'm often reminded of how good it feels to be part of something big, something good. How much greater a feeling to be part of God's kingdom! While at any time the Armed Forces of the good ol' USA could pass away or become corrupt, there is a "something bigger" that will not.

Every time I see our service men and women gathered together like that, I'm inspired to be better. To live out the biblical command that says, "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life." (Philippians 2:14)

We are called to live for something MUCH bigger, MUCH better. The standards are high, but anyone and everyone is welcome and able with the help of Him who calls us.

Laura Jean

3 comments:

Kyle and Sharon said...

:) I'm glad I can claim you as family! Your thoughts on serving are so motivating!

Bri said...

What a great reminder and kick in the pants that we all need! Thanks for this. I am so proud of Mark and you! Thank you for all you both do!

Corrie said...

Wow. What an inspiration. And what a wonderful verse to also be reminded of and inspired by. Thank you Laura!!